330 Snow Hill Rd, Franklin, NC 28734
Phone: (828) 524-7417
Worship at 11:00
A Bit of History of Snow Hill UMC
The earliest membership rolls of our church show that nine Methodist Circuit Riders received 28 members into what is now known as Snow Hill United Methodist Church. The members met in homes, then log cabins that served as both Church and Peabody Schools. In the archives of the Methodist Church, Charlotte, N.C. are records record in the Steward’s Book of the Episcopal Church (1820 – 1863). It was described as “a fragment of information:”
“[A] Preaching Place – West of Cowee, dates 1834-1863: meager offerings, many less than $1.00 during these early years.”
In 1876, a white wooden frame church was built on land which is now our cemetery. Family history states that snow was blowing here on June 4, 1876, when the building was finished, thus the name of the church became Snow Hill. Fifty-three years later, in 1929, the present red brick church was dedicated. Membership had grown to 80. As the family of God, we have “a goodly heritage.” – Psalm 16:6.